Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

my kawaii hello kitty pumpkin

I was recalling the peak trick 'er treating of my late youth. It was fifth grade when my Dad took my little sister around, and I was freed at last to roam around with my buddy unattended. We eschewed the plastic pumpkin for a pillow case and set out to gather the sugar coated booty. In typical male fashion of quantity and accomplishment, we covered our own neighborhood in no time, then set off for the adjacent subdivision, a place where technically we weren't even allowed to ride bikes. The mischievous spirit of the evening possessed us. I returned dragging a heavy bag like a miniature santa, not a goblin. My parents were at first astonished, then admonished us for venturing so far afield. My sister and I munched that candy hoard until Christmas!

By junior high, we had relocated to a tiny rural village in upstate New York. Being a little Dungeons and Dragons geek, I reveled in the ability to dress up on this one night and not be considered a freak. Still, we had begun pushing the limits as people would comment as we departed their porches, "Wow, their getting bigger every year." Sometimes even directly confronting us, "Aren't you guys getting a little old?" as if this holiday was merely a cutesy toddler parade on their porch put on for their benefit. Trick 'er treating maximization had been raised to an art form. We carried a back up mask in our bags for changing up the look to hit houses again on the return trip that actually generously gave away full sized candy bars or some other rare confection, instead of the usual sweet tarts or milk duds.

It was my last trick 'er treating year ever, so we slogged it out in bitter cold and sleet. There was hardly anyone out at all. On the outskirts of the village was a large farmhouse. The front porch light was off, but a side porch was lit, so we investigated. An old woman came to the door and invited us in. My friend and I looked at each other, shrugged and went inside. A lifetime of "don't talk to strangers" made me enter with trepidation. But this was obviously a long lost grandmother that I never had. Inside it was a warm and hospitable kitchen, and we were treated to hot apple cider, and fresh homemade doughnuts. It was the most decadent treat I ever had! I didn't even know that you could make doughnuts at home. We munched our doughnut and warmed our wet cold fingers around the mug, waiting for it to cool enough to drink. The kind old lady was delighted to have company and provide us with hospitality and we chatted up about the nights inclement weather. By the time we finished, there was a knock on the door, we said our adieu as she welcomed in a clutch of tiny kinder and their mom. That was the last time I ever trick 'er treated and a perfect way to retire that childhood tradition.

From the book 365 Goddess by Patricia Telecso:
"Samhain is a time to rectify any matters causing dissent. Take a piece of white paper on which you've written the reason for anger in a relationship, then burn it in any hallowed fire source (the pumpkin candle, etc) As you do so ask Nicneven to destroy the negativity completely."

This is also an opportunity to work with Raven energy. Raven is about finding light in the darkness, and transforming dark into light. Its a chance to create some real magick and transform negative into positive.

1 comment:

  1. Hey --- what a great post! Thanks for sharing.You can draw, drum, do energy work, and write too... among other things. This was fun to read. Write more!

    ReplyDelete