Monday, August 30, 2010

Hi! Grounding WIP

First of all... Hi everyone!

I've been working on this drawing on the side for a few weeks now... It's intended to be bottom heavy but I'm not sure if graphite was the way to go, I may take it into photoshop. So I'm debating whether or not to continue with pencil (ultimately darkening the piece, giving more contrast and work with the light source more) OR take it into photoshop and tweak it for a more airbrushed effect and darken it in that direction... it may be hard to see the detail, but I'm more concerned about feedback on the media used.



Canines, roots, reaching, antlers have all been my current obsessive themes.
Just been frustrated with this little one, will post when I've figured my path with it :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jill

    My opinion about the media is --- it depends.

    The value of the finished piece will be more if its the original, rather than a digital print. If this is important, that its worth trying to get the effect you're going for using graphite on the original.

    If you don't mind having the finished version of this in digital form only --- then it would be easier to get the exact effect you're going for in PS.

    Of course --- you could do both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW -- great piece! I have a thing for tree branches and roots as well. The bottom heavy looks intentional and its working within the 'egg like' shape. Gives it a fetal / womb quality (IMO)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that there is something lost if you take into photoshop. I would probably keep going with the graphite. You could do extras later with photoshop perhaps? It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks to me like you are getting a range of values already. I love the shape of it, so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. I love tree's, branches, roots, leaves, and all the creatures in it. I have a museum of driftwood, most of which is root wood with stones and pebbles encased in the wood. So if you want to buy some wood for inspiration, I'm liquidating the Famous Lansing Driftwood Museum at fire sale prices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the framing in it! As you will see in my work, framing inside the image is important to me. I often back up a little to include tree's, branches, leaves, rocks, etc... as framing to encircle the main subject and anchor it in the image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone.
    Frank ~ I'm interested in the driftwood! I live on Seneca lake and I used to head over to Sampson to collect such things. I've moved a lot this year and some of my found items were lost or let go of...

    ReplyDelete